Step 1 – Get your Learners Permit
The best way to start down the road to a drivers license is to get your learners permit first. In Maryland you have to:
- Be at least 15 years and 9 months old
- Take the test at the MVA – It’s 25 questions, on a computer
- The questions are taken from the Maryland Drivers Manual (http://www.mva.maryland.gov/drivers/maryland-drivers-manual.htm)
- Here is MVA online practice test (http://www.mva.maryland.gov/drivers/rookie-driver/tutorial/tutorial-intro.html)
- You must hold the learners permit for 9 months (or 45 days if you are 25 or older)
Step 2 – Take drivers ed at Premier
- We teach beginning drivers of all ages. Learn more about our course here.
Step 3 – Practice, Practice, Practice
- You are required to do 60 hours of practice with your mentor driver
- This can be a parent, guardian or friend, at least 21 years old who had their license for 3 or more years
- 60 hours is just the minimum. Please don’t stop there! Drive as much as you can with your supervising driver.
- MVA gives you a log book to track your hours
Step 4 – Test for your license
- *Schedule an appointment to test for you provisional drivers license with MVA here (https://mvascheduling.mdot.state.md.us/default.aspx)
- Read all about the day of the test and how we can help here .